Welcome to the virtual staffroom!
I wanted to create a place for teachers on my website, so I decided to create the virtual staffroom. Here you can do a number of things:
- Read a selection of articles on teaching English and working as an online language teacher – new content will be added regularly.
- Sign up for English with Kirsty news, a monthly newsletter about learning English, effective use of language, tips for language learning, and teaching English. This way you won’t miss any new content, and I also include interesting articles that I’ve discovered in other places on the internet.
- Suggest a topic for a blog post. I won’t be able to write a post on every suggestion, because if I don’t know about something, I can’t write about it, but I’ll do my best to share my knowledge or find a resource written by someone else that addresses the question. So please submit any questions or ideas for future blog posts via the contact form.
- If you would like more personalised help, I offer one-to-one online strategy sessions. This is not a course or a checklist of how to set up an online teaching business – there are plenty of courses that other people have already written about setting up businesses, social media, marketing etc. It’s an opportunity for you to talk with someone who is already working in the online English teaching field. You can ask questions, discuss your plans with me, and I can offer you tips and resources based on the experience that I have gathered during my last five years of online English teaching. I don’t believe there is one magic formula for setting up a business, but there are definitely things that will make your life easier and things that it would be good to avoid! I wish this had been available when I was starting out, so I’m happy to offer it now!
If a promotion is running, the code will be available in the English with Kirsty newsletter, so sign up to get your copy!
Strategy sessions take place between 09:00 and 18:00 BST and cost £17.50 (around 19.90 Euros.
Payments are made in advance via Paypal.
I’m not going to tell you how to make a million dollar business – I’m just an ordinary teacher, building her business brick by brick. This job isn’t for people who don’t want to put in the effort, but when you do, the results are really rewarding.
The strategy sessions are for you if you want someone who can talk through your questions, work on ideas based on your current situation and interests, give you tips, and talk about life as an online teacher. They are not for you if you are looking for a prescriptive guide on how to set up your business, step-by-step instructions on specific tools and services, or a one-size-fits-all formula.
These are the articles I have published so far. The articles are either about teaching English or running an online teaching business.
- Activities for students in group classes who finish tasks early
- Do all freelance English teachers work from home?
- How to find new students
- Is it good to collaborate with other teachers?
- 10 things I wont do in my business
- The importance of a student agreement
- Disaster planning for freelance teachers
- How can we help the quiet learners?
- Teacher Q&A
- 15 things I wish I’d known before becoming an online English teacher
- Is it better to find your own students or to work for a language school?
- Can people really learn English online? Debunking some common misconceptions and answering common questions
- The inclusive classroom – making the classroom accessible for blind students